11.13.2013

French Revolution, in Coldplay's song?

Viva la vida is probably the most known Coldplay's song ever. Everyone knows the lyrics but, who does really understand its meaning?

Here are the lyrics:
I used to rule the world
Seas would rise when I gave the word
Now in the morning I sleep alone
Sweep the streets I used to own
I used to roll the dice
Feel the fear in my enemy's eyes
Listen as the crowd would sing
"Now the old king is dead! Long live the king!"
One minute I held the key
Next the walls were closed on me
And I discovered that my castles stand
Upon pillars of salt and pillars of sand
I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
Once you go there was never
Never an honest word
And that was when I ruled the world
It was the wicked and wild wind
Blew down the doors to let me in
Shattered windows and the sound of drums
People couldn't believe what I'd become
Revolutionaries wait
For my head on a silver plate
Just a puppet on a lonely string
Oh who would ever want to be king?
I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world
I hear Jerusalem bells are ringing
Roman Cavalry choirs are singing
Be my mirror, my sword and shield
My missionaries in a foreign field
Woahahahah. woah ohhhhh woah ohhh oh,
For some reason I can't explain
I know Saint Peter won't call my name
Never an honest word
But that was when I ruled the world

Now let's go back to the meaning part
This song is sung in first person, as like someone is telling his own story. Is he the French king Louis XVI? we are not sure. Usually the singers tell us about their feelings, but in this song, a man is explaining how he wasn't the perfect king and how people hated him.
Louis XVI was King of France between 1774-1791. He tried to do some ''reforms'' in France and that caused that people were not happy with them, so they started a revolution, THE FRENCH REVOLUTION.
This song talks about how the king (Louis XVI?) lost his power and the citizens rised up against the government, so they wanted to behead him. Or the meaning could be a reflexion about Power and the lost of Power by a man?.

Let's see this on some of the lyrics:

‘’I used to roll the dice’’ - Perhaps this means  that he decided about the destiny of people.
‘’Blew down the doors to let me in’’ - This explains how he used violence to get what he wanted. 
‘’One minute I held the key, next the doors were closed on me‘’ - Everything happened so fast.
‘’And I discovered that my castles stand, upon pillars of salt, pillars of sand‘’ - The castles mean his power, so if they stood upon pillars of salt and sand, that means that they were very weak.
‘’Revolutionaries wait for my head on a silver plate‘’ - This means, as we said before, that people wanted to behead him.
‘‘I know St Peter won’t call my name’’ - St Peter is the one who opens the doors in heaven for christians, so this refers that heaven's doors won't be opened for him.

There are also many references to the Bible: Jerusalem bells, St Peter, 'my head in a silver plate', maybe St. John the Baptist's head?. Anyway whatever the meaning is, enjoy the song!



No comments:

Post a Comment